London Motorcycle Accident Attorney
According to the Kentucky State Police, motorcycles represent less than one percent of all vehicles involved in collisions in the state. Despite this, motorcycles constitute as many as seven percent of the vehicles involved in fatal crashes, demonstrating the physical toll that these kinds of collisions can take. The severity of motorcycle accidents makes it especially important for those who have been involved in this kind of crash, to speak with an experienced London motorcycle accident attorney about seeking compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
Motorcycle collisions, like any type of vehicle accident have a number of different causes. Most, however, involve one of the following scenarios:
- A head-on collision, in which a driver turns left and collides with a motorcyclist who is passing on the left, or who is traveling through the intersection in the other direction;
- A lane change collision, wherein a driver changes lanes without double-checking his or her blindspot, resulting in a side-impact crash;
- A rear-end collision, where a driver collides with the rear portion of a motorcycle, often launching the rider into traffic;
- A driver cutting off a motorcyclist, forcing an abrupt change in direction on the part of the rider; or
- A loss of control due to a road defect, like a pothole, gravel, an uneven road surface, or unsafe drainage grate.
Who can be held liable for a motorcycle crash will depend on the kind of crash in which the parties were involved and the primary cause of the accident. A driver who was distracted and rear-ended a motorcycle, for instance, could be held legally responsible for the injured party’s medical bills and property damage, while a motorcyclist who was injured after driving over a dangerous pothole or road defect may be able to seek compensation from the government agency responsible for roadway maintenance.
Risk of Injury
Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable to injury than their motorist counterparts, as they lack the protection of seat belts and air bags and are at risk of being thrown from their vehicles entirely. In fact, the Insurance Information Institute (III) estimates that a motorcyclist is 30 percent more likely to die in a collision than a vehicle occupant. While being a defensive rider and wearing a helmet can reduce this risk by as much as 40 percent, even the most careful motorcyclist could sustain an injury if involved in a crash. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as many as 80 percent of motorcycle accidents result in injury to the rider.
Of these injuries, certain types are especially common, including:
- Head and neck injuries;
- Injuries to the lower limbs;
- Facial and dental fractures;
- Chest injuries, like punctured lungs, cardiac trauma, blunt aortic injuries, and pulmonary contusions; and
- Deep scrapes, lacerations, and road rash.
To learn more about recovering compensation for these kinds of accident-related injuries, please reach out to our legal team today.
Experienced London Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. For help determining who was at-fault for your own crash, please call the Cessna & George Law Firm today.